Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy bp100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I'm having a strange issue I hope someone can help with:

I recently purchased an HP Envy laptop, and I have enabled the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" option in mouse settings, however this doesn't seem to work properly when using the touchpad. It works fine when switching between chrome and one of the windows 'settings' windows, for example, but I can't get it to work with any office applications.

If I am using Word and chrome, say, I have to 'tap' to make the window active before I can use two finger scrolling. Also, the scrolling speed seems to vary between chrome and any msoffice application (slower in word, for example) - as though the touchpad settings don't seem to have registered with MSOffice, which I would find very strange as this is a feature of Windows 10, and both being Microsoft products, both latest versions.

I know this seems like a minor issue, but it is a bit of an annoyance as it is a new feature of Windows 10 and the laptop is brand new, so it would be disappointing if it doesn't work!

Perhaps I have missed a setting somewehere - any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

George

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @ChopperM

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!

A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that the touchpad is not functioning.

Please follow the below steps.

Step 1 Run Windows Updates troubleshooter - Windows Update Troubleshooter - Microsoft Support

Step 2 Windows Updates –

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 3 HP Support Assistant Updates –

1) In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

For more troubleshooting steps please click here.

Keep me posted, how it goes:)

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried both options already, Microsoft and hp software is up to date.

To clarify, the touch pad is working, it's only the feature that allows you to scroll over whichever window you are hovering over, without having to click it first. It's very handy feature which is obviously built in to Windows 10.

It works when I have two windows open, say two browser windows side by side, but it doesn't work with any ms office apps (2016 versions) as it us meant to. So if I am using word and chrome, for example, I need to click the window to make it active before I can scroll.

HP Recommended

Hi @ChopperM

Thank you for replying with detailed response 😉 
I appreciate your time and efforts.

Please try the below mentioned steps.

• In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.
  • From the results list click TouchPad settings.
  • Click Additional settings.
  • Click the TouchPad Settings or the ClickPad Settings tab. If you have a Synaptics device, the tab includes the Synaptics icon.
  • You can adjust the TouchPad settings for scrolling.
  • Put a checkmark in the checkbox next to scrolling to enable scrolling.
  • Also, put a checkmark next to two-finger scrolling to enable two finger scrolling.

I hope this should resolve the problem.
Let me know how that pans out, and feel free to ask any other queries as well.
Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended
Hi there,

Yes those settings were already as you suggest, and the issue persists. I believe it is specific to Ms Office applications, as the feature works when hovering over other windows. Any other ideas? I know this should work, so it is very frustrating! Surely someone has had the same issue?
HP Recommended

Have you found a solution? I have the same problem with HP Envy. Has HP customer support been helpful in their tips? 

HP Recommended

Does this mean that the computers will be recalled? This issue has not been adressed

HP Recommended

Regards from Feb, 2019, I've the same issue on my ENVY x360 Convertible 13-ag0xxx.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.